Discover information or download resources to help you manage your orchard effectively.
For new growers:
Hazelnuts are a relatively low maintenance crop that can provide good returns for growers or provide a valuable additional income source as part of a diversification plan.
Some things a new grower may want to consider include:
- Climate – is it right for hazelnuts? Is there enough winter chill or rainfall?
- Soil – free draining? clay heavy?
- Shelter – are there existing shelter belts or do you need to plant them first?
- Orchard design/layout – think about the land and how tree spacing and orientation might work
- Irrigation – do you need irrigation?
The HGANZ, with help from the Sustainable Farming Fund, has created a number of information bulletins to help new growers to get a good start in the industry. Additionally more information is available in the members only section and also through our regular member field days and online seminar series.
- Bulletin 1 Introduction
- Bulletin 2 Hazelnut varieties
- Bulletin 3 Flowering and pollination
- Bulletin 4 Nut development and quality
- Bulletin 5 Orchard establishment
- Bulletin 6 Orchard management
- Bulletin 7 Harvesting